Environment Assignments and who should be able to create what types of Dynamics 365 CRM / CE / Dataverse environments can now be easily controlled.
You can either let everyone create a certain Type of environment or only enable Admin groups to create environments in Power Platform Admin Center! Let’s see how.
Restricting Users from Creating Environments
You can now restrict which types of Environments are allowed to be created for the type of audience in your tenant –
- If you are one of the Global Admins, Power Platform Admins, you have access to the Power Platform Admin Center settings (https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/tenantsettings)
And you’ll see the below types of Environment Assignments available for you to tweak
- And in this example, let review and modify the settings for Production types of instances and who should be able to create this environments.
Every type of assignment will have the below 2 options –
Only specific admins (Global Admins, Power Platform Service Admins & Delegated Admins)
Reference Link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-platform/admin/control-environment-creation?WT.mc_id=ppac_inproduct_settings?WT.mc_id=DX-MVP-5003911
- Once your preferences are set, just click on Save and the settings will be applied. Let’s see in the next section how this works.
Here’s how a User will be restricted when they try to create the Types of environments when they are not part of the Admin Groups –
- Although, every user will get an option to Create using the Create button and select a Type of environment. When a User selects a Type, in this case Production
- And when they click Next, and enter further details in order to create the environment, they’ll see this error message.
- And to validate, you can look at the Roles in Microsoft 365 Admin Center under Users as to what Roles they have been assigned with.
Hope this helps!