While Microsoft Teams phone devices provide the richest and most complete Teams experience, we understand that there are many customers with existing investments in legacy devices. To help customers leverage their existing telephony hardware as they move to Teams Phone, we are excited to announce that SIP Gateway, a solution that enables core Teams calling functionality on compatible SIP phone models from Cisco, Poly, Yealink and AudioCodes is now generally available.
Currently, SIP Gateway supports the following core Teams calling functionality
- Inbound and outbound calls
- Call transfer
- Meeting dial-in and dial-out
- Device-based “do not disturb”
- Voicemail with message waiting indicator
There is no additional cost for organizations to use SIP Gateway, and any users meeting the following requirements can use SIP Gateway
- Users must be licensed for Teams Phone (via any Office 365 E5, Microsoft 365 license that includes Teams Phone, or as a standalone license)
- PSTN enablement (i.e., phone number assigned) via a Microsoft Teams Calling Plan, Direct Routing, or Operator Connect
- Common area devices require a Common Area Phone license
Follow the steps below to enable and manage SIP Gateway
- Turn on SIP devices can be used for calls calling policy in Teams admin center and go to SIP devices under Teams devices to manage your SIP phones connected to Teams
- Reset devices to factory settings and point them to SIP Gateway provisioning server
- Ensure that your firewall is open to traffic from Microsoft 365 and Teams
- Ensure that SIP devices are not behind a proxy
- Open UDP ports 49152 to 53247, and TCP port 5061 for IP range 220.127.116.11/14 to 18.104.22.168/14
- Onboarded SIP devices are visible in Teams admin center SIP devices tab after first sign-in
Learn more about planning for and configuring SIP Gateway in your organization.
Upgrade Skype for Business Online (3PIP) phones to Microsoft Teams using Teams SIP Gateway
UPDATED October 17, 2022
Microsoft retired Skype for Business Online (SfBO) in July 2021. To help protect the investment that you have made in Skype for Business Online phones (3PIP phones) and help you upgrade to Teams, we now offer a solution through SIP Gateway to enable these devices to securely connect and function as Microsoft Teams endpoints. We encourage you to make necessary updates as soon as possible. Click here to learn more.
Upgrade to Teams phone devices
While SIP Gateway and 3PIP Gateway provide valuable flexibility for organizations with SIP phone investments, Teams phone devices provide the most complete Teams experience. Upgrade to Teams phone devices today!